This week you will fill in your practice log in the row labeled "Week 3"
Please write on your practice log the number of minutes you practice inside the box with correct date. Then have your parents or guardians initial one time in the box where it says "parent initials." Thank you! It is part of your grade, and it only takes a few seconds.
DON'T FORGET!!! If you don't have the book yet, please order it now or buy it from The Magic Flute music store. The book is Essential Elements for Band,
Book 1. (Yellow Book.) Or you can order it directly from the publisher:
HOMEWORK PRACTICE assignment for Week 3
Hello again 5th grade trombone and trumpet players!!! Your homework for this week is to practice at least 30 minutes total before your next music class on the exercises we practiced in class:
1. Buzz on your mouthpiece a soft, steady, long note.
2. Buzz on your mouthpiece low and high like a siren. (Ahhh - EEEEEE) Change the angle of your air-stream and change the tightness of your lips. Experiment to create different pitches.
Then put your mouthpiece into your instrument and...
3. Play a nice, beautiful, steady long tone through your instrument. (See if you can play 10-20 seconds with one breath.) Do NOT attempt to do this more than 3 times in one day or you may get dizzy!!!!
4. With your mouthpiece still in your instrument, play your instrument and try to use your lips to change between higher notes and lower notes (without changing your fingers on the valves or slide.) If you are having trouble, try thinking of saying "AHHHHH" on the lower notes and "EEEEE" on the higher notes. Also remember that your lips will have to be slightly looser on the low notes and will have to be slightly tighter or stronger on the higher notes. Try NOT to let your cheeks puff out like a squirrel!
5. play "Hot Cross Buns" on your instrument:
Mi Re Do...
Mi Re Do...
Do Do Do Do, Re Re Re Re,
Mi Re Do...
I did not get a chance to record my own video, but I found these really good videos that show you how to play hot cross buns using Mi, Re, Do.
Click here for trombone Hot Cross Buns Video
Click here for trumpet Hot Cross Buns Video
If you forgot how to assemble or hold your instrument...
Here is a video from a music store that will teach you the basics of how to hold the instrument and blow:
TRUMPET beginners video
TROMBONE beginner's video
-------------If you lost your practice log... -----------
Wade Thomas Students click here for your practice log
Manor, Hidden Valley, and Brookside students click here for your practice log