Please be sure to bring in your practice guidelines agreement form if you have not done so!
Please review the bowing exercises from week one. Here are some details to remember:
1. Flat wrist when holding the bow (at the balance point)
2. Shoulders relaxed
3. Arm extended but elbow slightly bent
4. Fingers flop over the stick.
5. Violinists: pinky on top of the stick
6. Cellists: all fingers hang over the stick
7. ALL: lean in (pronate) toward your first finger when you hold the bow, like you are turning a doorknob "in".
1. Please read through the set up pages of your method book, String Basics, pages 2-3. It also gives a brief history of string instrument making from Cremona, Italy.
2. Holding the instrument:
- Cello: Practice finding the exact placement of your cello by standing up and sitting back down a few times. Points of contact: chest, tuning peg near left ear, sides of cello on the inside of your knees and the endpin on the floor.
- Violin: Shoulder rest makes a "sad" face on the bottom of the violin. Bring the "button" on the bottom of the violin in towards the center of your neck. Practice placing your left hand on your right shoulder while holding the violin.
*** remember to pluck in the middle of the fingerboard. Look at the pictures in your method book on pages 4-5.
See you in class!