Hi everyone. I was sorry to miss the Brookside and Manor classes this week - I was taking White Hill's Advanced Orchestra to an open rehearsal at San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. I am also sorry that the substitute teacher seems to have had a huge amount of trouble with finding the right classroom, setting up the technology, and my lesson plan in general! If she did manage to show you any video clips, it seems she showed you the wrong ones!! Here are the links to the clips you were meant to watch during class. Think about what's good about the performance, and what could be improved.
- Bile Em Cabbage Down - two girls playing violin duet
- Bile Em Cabbage Down - violin and guitar
- 5-year-old boy plays Bach (cello)
- 6th grader playing the cello
- Black Violin - A Flat
- Two Cellos - Viva La Vida
- Page 18 and 19: By now, you should be able to play the tunes on page 18 without much difficulty. Remember that black notes (quarter notes) are one beat long and hollow notes (half notes) are two beats long. This means you'll have to change your bow speed depending on what you're trying to play. Page 19 is a bit more challenging!
- Before you try an exercise, check for any jumps between notes - the noteheads go from a line to a line or a space to a space, or further - use your pencil to mark in the note you have to jump to. That way, you won't make a mistake when you get to that point.